Networking & Professional Development
Making connections with other Smithies – for professional or personal reasons – is one of the reasons that members get involved in the Smith Club and attend events. We are committed to helping alums find others with whom to socialize and share ideas and advice across a wide range of industries and at many different career levels.
While Smithies network at all events, we also host specific networking and career development opportunities. Here are recent ones:
- Smith in New York Networking Breakfast with President Kathleen McCartney, co-sponsored by the Club and the Smith College Office of Alumnae Relations
- A Social Media 101 workshop with Colleen DelVecchio, Career Expert and Director of Alumnae Engagement for Smith College
- A talk by Dorie Clark ’97, Marketing Strategy Consultant and Author of Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It
- Title of event, co-sponsored with the Smith College School for Social Work
- A presentation by Jessica Bacal, MS.Ed., M.F.A., Director of The Wurtele Center for Work & Life and editor of Mistakes I Made at Work: 25 Influential Women Reflect on What They Got Out of Getting It Wrong
- A Career Transitions & Transformations workshop, in conjunction with the Smith Business Network
- A breakfast featuring Real Stories from Entrepreneurs, in conjunction with the Smith Business Network
In addition, alums can participate in the Smith College of Club of NYC Smith Partner Summer Program. This initiative pairs local Smith alumnae with current Smith students who will be interning in the New York City area over the summer months. Volunteers meet with the students at least twice throughout the summer to offer tips on living and working in the city and to help the students navigate their opportunities.